Here is another addition to my list if Indian comfort food. Curried potatoes are usually used to wean children into spicy food when you’re a child in the Indian culture. It’s quick and easy, as are most of my recipes, and delicious. I make this dish quite often and to the point where I never thought about even putting it up on this website. Well here you guys go my simple curried potatoes recipe. Try it with some Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan!
Serves – 2 Cook time – 45 minutes
1 large potato- diced thick and chunky
1 tomato- diced
1/2 onion – diced
1 clove of garlic- minced
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder
1/2 tablespoon of cumin powder
1/2 tablespoon of coriander powder
1/2 tablespoon of red pepper powder – or to taste
1/2 tablespoon of garam masala
Salt to taste
1. Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. You will hear them popping and sizzling, make sure to turn the heat down a little so you don’t burn them.
2. Add the onions and stir for about 2 minutes. Next add the garlic and stir for about another minute. The onions and garlic should be a nice caramel color.
3. Add the tomatoes and stir. Turn the heat down a little. Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red pepper powder. Mix well. Add about 1/2 cup of water and stir.
4. Add the potatoes to the pot when the water is simmering. Add enough water to the pot to cover the potatoes.
5. Let the water come to a nice simmer on medium heat and add the garam masala and salt. Remember you will lose a lot of water due to evaporation, so don’t salt heavily.
6. Let it simmer covered for about 30-40 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Enjoy!
I usually let the curry sit uncovered for a few minutes so the water evaporates more. It’s really up to you on how thick you want your curry sauce to be. Enjoy with some naan or with a bowl of rice!