For my baby cousin’s birthday I experimented a little with chewy cookies. These cookies are eggless and amazingly delicious. The nutty pistachios and the sweetness of the chocolate make this cookie one of best cookies I have ever made.
Makes- 3 dozen Cook time- 1 hour
2 sticks of butter- diced
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/3 cup of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 cup of applesauce
3 cups of flour
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
3/4 cups of crushed pistachios
Melted chocolate- about 4 oz
Preheat oven at 350 degrees
1. Take the 2 sticks of butter and cream it, mixing very well. (Dicing the butter helps it cream quickly- especially if the butter isn’t room temperature) I did this in a Kitchen Aide mixer on low for about 3 minutes.
2. Add the white sugar to the butter and mix for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar to the butter and mix for an additional 2 minutes. Make sure everything is well incorporated and creamed!
3. Add the applesauce and vanilla and mix for 1 minute.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix with a spoon.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture 3 spoonfuls at a time while the mixer is on low. You don’t want a cloud of flour over everything so take it slow. Once all the flour is incorporated mix on medium high for 2 minutes.
6. Roll the dough into small 1 inch balls and press down. Bake on parchment paper over a cookie sheet. It should take 10-12 minutes for a nice brown color.
7. Let the cookie cool for 10 minutes. While the cookies cool- chop up the pistachios if you haven’t already done so.
8. Melt the chocolate in the microwave- mixing every 15 seconds. I used almond bark- which has the same instructions as chocolate for melting.
9. Roll the edges of the cookies in the chocolate- using a spoon to wipe off excess…or your finger- whatever works best. Next roll the edges in crushed pistachios and set onto a foil covered plate. Once the plate is full- chuck it in the freezer for 1 minute to let the chocolate set. Repeat until all the cookies are covered. Enjoy!