I love simple recipes with simple ingredients. Crackers are that type of recipe. SUPER EASY and SUPER CHEAP. The crackers are sweet and salty and buttery and would be great with some chai or cheese.
Cook time- 1 hour, Serves: creates 4 dozen crackers
1 cup of all purpose flour (you can use whole wheat if you are trying to be super healthy)
3 tablespoons of cold butter- chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup of water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 tablespoon of butter
2 teaspoons of honey (optional)
2 teaspoons of salt (plus or minus a few depending on your taste)
Preheat oven at 400 F
1. In a food processor- add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and pulse once or twice to mix well
2. Add the butter and pulse a few times.
3. Add oil and pulse a few more times
4. Add water a little by little and pulse until a smooth dough ball forms
5. Roll out the dough as thin as you can – without it becoming translucent- and cut out your cracker shapes. I used a small baby cup to cut mine out, but you can use whatever you have handy.
6. Place the cut out crackers on a lightly greased pan and bake until golden brown (about 6-8 minutes)
7. While the crackers are baking- in a bowl add the butter, salt, and honey from the topping list and nuke it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
8. Once the crackers are done baking brush the melted butter mixture on the crackers and let them cool.
Enjoy! They are delicious on their own or try them with various cheeses or teas. Plus it’s great for kids since there are no preservatives or unnecessary additives.