Today I made a small tofu, rice and veggie bowl. Filling, healthy, and clean flavors. It was actually pretty quick to make also. I only used half a square of tofu in this recipe. You can save your unused tofu in Tupperware filled with water. Make sure the tofu is submersed in the water and change the water every day! Here is what you will need!
Cook time- 45 minutes Serves- 2
1 cup of steamed veggies (I steamed some broccoli)
1/2 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter (I used the crunchy kind because I like getting little peanut-y surprises)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon of sweet and sour sauce
1/2 tablespoon of Trader Joe’s Gyoza Dipping Sauce
Sugar to taste
Sriracha sauce to taste
1/2 block of tofu – cubed
1 cup of cooked rice (I had white rice, but brown rice is a good healthy alternative)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Use paper towels to remove the moisture from the cubed tofu. This is important if you want to stay burn free. Add the tofu to the hot saucepan of olive oil, it will sizzle a little. Be careful!
2. A secret to crispy tofu is: Let it be! Let the tofu sit and don’t stir too often. It gives it a nice golden brown and crispiness on the outside. Cook to the tofu, stirring occasionally for about 5-8 minutes.
3. While the tofu cooks, make the sauce. Add the soy sauce, peanut butter, sweet and sour sauce, gyoza sauce, sugar, and sriracha sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 sec and whisk with a fork until it is somewhat homogeneous. This help the peanut butter get incorporated into the sauce.
4. Once the tofu is done, turn the gas off and add the sauce to the tofu and stir. You might need to add water if the sauce thickens. Add the toasted sesame seeds during this time. Stir.
5. Serve with rice and some veggies. Enjoy! 🙂