I love veggie chili, especially during the brisk nights like tonight. I made this chili based off my ideas of what flavors I want in my dish. I topped it off with some shredded Mexican cheeses. I usually like some sour cream and chives on top of that, but unfortunately I was out. 😦 The chili had tons of flavor, and a kick of heat at the end of every bite. Enjoy!
Serves – 6 cowboys/girls Cook time- 2 hours
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of vegetarian baked beans
1 small can of green chilies
1 can of whole tomatoes
1 small can of enchilada sauce (about 1/2 a cup) (I know, I know)
2 large red onions, diced big
1/2 bell pepper, diced
3 carrots, diced medium
1 potato, diced big
1 cup of vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of cumin
1 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder (or to taste, I like it medium spicy)
1/2 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of paprika
Salt and pepper
2 1/2tablespoons of vegetable oil
1. In a large pot, heat the oil and add the diced onions. Let them caramelized slightly and then add the garlic. Turn the heat down a little after you add the garlic so you don’t burn it.
2. Drain the black beans and kidney beans; add them to the large pot. Stir.
3. Add the vegetarian baked beans and canned whole tomatoes to the pot without draining them. I used my hands to crush the tomatoes before I added them into the pot. (Be careful! I ended up squishing tomato innards all over myself on the first one, so I ended up poking each one with my thumb 1st and then crushing them) Stir well.
4. Add the diced vegetables and the small call of green chilies to the pot. Stir
5. Add the can of enchilada sauce, tomato paste, and 1 cup of vegetable broth, or enough to cover the vegetables.
6. Add all the spices to the chili. Be careful not to add too much salt because the chili will be cooking down and thickening.
7. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the potatoes and carrots can be easily pierced with a fork. Simmer over medium heat. Be sure to stir often so that the veggies on the bottom don’t burn!
Add some cheese, or enjoy with the toasted bread!