I love chai masala! My family always has a HUGE tin full of chai masala in our house for our morning tea. Chai masala is a mixture of cardamom, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, fennel, peppercorn, ginger and star anise. The aroma of the masala has a nice warm “holiday” feel to it.
I decided to make a 2nd batch of cookies for my work’s cookie exchange to go with the French Macarons. My house smelled SOOOOO good after I baked these. It really made me feel like it was the holiday season. Here is my recipe for Chai Spiced snickerdoodles:
Makes: 3 dozen Cook Time: 1.5 hours
2 2/3 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
1.5 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of chai masala ( you can get this from the grocery store pre-made)
1.5 tablespoon of sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 F
2. In a large bowl, cream your butter and sugar together. Then add 1 egg at a time mixing well in between additions. I did this in the Kitchenaid mixture and it took like me literally 2 minutes. God I love that thing….
3. In another bowl,add the all purpose flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Give it a quick mix with a whisk.
4. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients with the butter mixture. This will form a loose dough, but you should be able to roll the dough into a ball.
5. In a small bowl mix the chai masala and sugar. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Coat the cookies in the sugar/chai masala mixture and place on your cookie sheet.
6. Bake your cookies for about 14-18 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom. They will come out soft an pillow in the middle and crunchy on the edges.
Enjoy with a nice glass of milk : )