I was feeling in carb-y starchy mood the other day–well, to be honest I am in the mood for carbs and starches everyday–but this day was overwhelmingly bad. All day at work I looked at pictures of potato recipes on Pinterest. Once I got home, I mixed a few recipes together and and went to town. I had 1/4 head of cauliflower left at home and decided to use it in this recipe before it went bad. Sooo I guess it’s healthy…well more than 2 vegetables in any recipe = healthy in my mind really. 🙂
Serves- 4 Cook time- 2 hours
1/4 head of cauliflower cut into small pieces
1.5 tablespoons of butter (I used vegan butter)
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper each
3 tablespoons of shredded cheddar – (You can substitute this with Daiya cheese to make it vegan!)
1 stalk of a green onion, sliced
1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
1. Pre heat the oven at 400 F
2. Wash your potatoes and dry them. Lightly coat the potatoes with melted coconut oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake the potatoes for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
3. Steam your cauliflower until it is easily cut by a knife- took me about 10-15 minutes. Remember we are going to be mashing these- so make sure they are soft enough to mash!
4. Once the potatoes are done baking, take them out of the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes.
5. Slice the potatoes down the middle and scoop out the middle of the potatoes with a spoon into a bowl, leaving a 1/4 inch edge. Make sure not to tear your potato skin!
6. Add the steamed cauliflower to the bowl of potato innards and mash away. Add the garlic powder, sliced green onion, salt, pepper, butter and cheese and mix well.
7. Fill the potatoes back up with the mashed potato and cauliflower mix and top with cheese (optional). Bake again for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts. Enjoy!