For those of you who ran for cover after seeing beans in a dessert… I’m sorry?
The magic thing about black beans is that they really don’t have a strong flavor and are undetectable when paired with chocolate. I had my boyfriend taste these brownies without telling him what was in them and he gave me two enthusiastic thumbs up. Then of course he looked at me like I had 5 heads when I told him the secret ingredient. You can reveal your secret but feel free to keep it all to yourself. Your friend/co-worker/loved one will be none the wiser. 🙂
Black Bean Brownies
Makes 1 8×8 pan
1 15oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetener of your choice (I used organic granulated sugar)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients except for chocolate chips in a food processor and process until smooth. This may take a few minutes but you want the “dough” to be as smooth as possible.
3. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray (I used a glass one).
5. Pour the brownie batter into the 8×8 pan and spread out evenly with a rubber spatula. Carefully sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top (if using).
6. Place in the oven and bake for 20-23 minutes. The toothpick trick won’t really work with these as you want them to be kind of gooey. They will set more as they cool!