I remember the first time I ever had lemon poppy seed bread was in college (I was way behind on this …I know). I stopped by a small bakery grabbed a slice and laid out in the sun on the grass at Clark Park in near my school in Philadelphia. Ever since then the smell of lemon poppy seed bread brings back warm memories for me. I can almost feel the sun on my face just thinking about it. Welcome spring by making this amazing lemon poppy seed bread and experience it for yourself!
Cook time: 50 minutes Serves: 24 thick slices – two 9×5 bread pan
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
2.5 cups of sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1.5 cups milk
1 cup oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3 tbsp lemon juice
1.5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1. Pre-heat the oven 350 degrees
2. In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds, and lemon zest and whisk together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract and almond extract.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet batter and mix well.
5. Pour the batter into two greased 9×5 bread pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Lemon Glaze: Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar together until nice and smooth. Spoon this onto the cooled bread and enjoy!