Since I married a good ol’ southern boy, I figured I should brush up on my southern cooking skills. Now I love plain old cornbread, but the chives and cheddar cheese make this recipe even THAT much better. #cornbreadSWAG This recipe requires buttermilk, but if you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can take 1 cup of milk and mix it with 1 tbsp of either vinegar or lemon juice. Let that site for 5-10 minutes and voila, you have some fresh buttermilk! This bread turns out really moist and flavorful. Pair it with a nice warm chili or have it all by itself. Enjoy!
Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 24 thick slices – two 9×5 loaves
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup chives, chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven 375 degrees
2. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar with the melted butter until the sugar dissolves. Then beat in the eggs and whisk in the buttermilk.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture and whisk together until combined. Mix in the 2/3 cup of the cheddar and 2/3 of the chives.
5. Pour the batter into two 9×5 greased bread pans. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and chives on top of the loaves and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy! 🙂